I often used to wake up in the morning with a really heavy feeling in my tummy. I didn’t know why really, but I thought it was just life. This sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I opened up my eyes and would typically say to myself, “Here we go again, another day”….. followed by a huge sigh.
Looking back, I had a really negative outlook on life. First thing in the morning I would mull over all the things I had to do, usually sending me into a frenzy of negative thoughts. I would worry about everything. I would allow my brain to take over and convince me that life was really hard. I would then get into autopilot mode and I would get on with everything I needed to do without much thought. There was very little time for me and I spent my life running around after everyone else and putting myself always last. It left me feeling depleted and often like a frazzled martyr. I would often have a drink to relieve some stress at the end of the day and I would eat to comfort myself. Life was so different for me then, in my head. I was like this angry person inside resenting everything. I was a plastic bag in the wind just floating through life with very little direction and meaning. I felt tired a LOT of the time!
Coffee, energy drinks, cigarettes and sugar were my “energy sources”. But of course, that was not a good thing. And I would feel even worse than I did before I consumed them. But I had an addictive personality and I was in a spiral. It was hard to break free.
The change happened to me a few years ago and slowly I started to rebuild myself. I wanted to become a stronger, happier and healthier version of me. I wanted to really start to LIVE my life. So slowly, over a period of time, I started to introduce new habits into my life. Things which make me feel GOOD.
Nowadays, I wake up with a much more positive heart and I have a spring in my step and a real lust for life. I am mostly on a natural high and I LOVE life. I see life so differently now and I want to share with you some of the things I do every day which literally skyrocket my energy levels.
- I GET ENOUGH SLEEP. When I drank a lot of alcohol I didn’t sleep well. When I didn’t exercise regularly, I didn’t sleep well. When I was too stressed out, I didn’t sleep well. There are SO many reasons why we don’t get good sleep. But sleeping really has a direct impact on our mental wellbeing. I just make sure that I get to my bed at a good time ( usually before 10 pm) I do a little reiki or meditation often before bed and read a good book. I love to have a shower or a nice bath to relax before too. Sleeping is super important as we do all our healing in our sleep and depriving ourselves can have a massive impact on our energy levels
- I EXERCISE DAILY. Of course, if you know me, you know that this is something I swear by. When I discovered my trusty Powerhooping a few years ago, it made me realise how important exercising is not only for my physical well-being but how it impacted so positively on my mental wellbeing. I always have an abundance of energy when I exercise so it is 100% non-negotiable. I live my life with exercise in it most days.
- I EAT FOR ENERGY. I had bulimia for many years. I used to eat a lot of sugar. I used to eat all the wrong foods and of course, my energy levels were constantly low. And because I had little energy from eating, I felt depressed a lot. It was directly linked. My mood was a direct link to what I was eating and my energy levels were low. Nowadays, I eat a plant-based diet, I eat very little refined sugar and I feel amazing about it. It definitely has a direct link. My energy is high because I eat clean food. It is that simple.
- I MEDITATE EVERY MORNING. This is something that I swear by. Just 10 minutes every morning is enough to set me up every day. Meditating and breathing is our way of connecting to our source and it is a fabulous way to de-stress and feel good. By taking life at a little slower pace we are then able to energise ourselves. I feel like I am clearer and brighter by the time I have meditated.
- I DRINK LOTS OF WATER. I am sure you know all about the benefits of drinking water. I used to be a diet Coke morning kind of gal! Honestly, I would supply myself with coffee and diet coke. I was forever up and down in my energy throughout the day. When I finally ditched the soft drinks and replaced with water ( warm water and lemon) in the mornings and throughout the day, I noticed a significant difference in my energy levels. Like a consistency all day. If I forget to drink much, I notice that I feel so much more tired than normal, usually get a headache too. I drink a filtered Alkalised water and I swear by that. 6. I TAKE TIME OUT EVERY DAY FOR ME. This was probably one of the biggest challenges I faced when it came to changing my daily habits. But what I came to realise was this. The more that I do for me, the more energised I feel. If I allow myself to do something I LOVE to do every day then it balances me, it allows me to show up so much more for others. I don’t feel guilty about it either. I explain this to my clients too if they show signs of guilt, we NEED “me time” in our lives. If our cups are full we can help others in our lives so much better. It is as simple as that. It can be an activity as simple as reading or taking a little nap, or coffee with a friend.
I can’t explain how different my life is now, it is so much better. I have doubled my energy levels and I no longer suffer from depression. These tools I use every day have saved my life. I now live my life with joy and happiness. We read about them all the time, but I know from my own personal exeriences that they absolutely work. They really do.